SX Necks

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by fauxsuper, Sep 23, 2007.

1. fauxsuper

fauxsuper New Member

When I bought my first SST (a whole two weeks ago) as a project guitar, I expected to replace the neck. My previous project guitar was a Sanatoga that I fitted with HUGE Mighty Mite neck with great results: a 6 lb 4 oz guitar that just sings. But I did have to do a fret dress on that neck to get it to play as well as it does.

But to digress, when I got my SST, I just fell in love with the neck. It VERY fat, but is still comfortable for my small hands. ( I used to think that had to be a big handicap, but Then I discoved my hands were the exact same size as Eddie Van Halen's when I stuck them in the hand prints at the Rock Walk at the Hollywood Guitar Center: there goes that excuse!)

I love the binding (whata luxurious feel) and the position markers off to the side, and the fretwork is first rate. A little adjustment of the truss rod and a little work on the nut and I now like the way the guitar plays and feels as well as any guitar I own. In 1982 I had to replace the neck on my 52 Goldtop and I had the neck specifically made to fit my hands, and the SST neck is nearly the same size.

At any rate, replacing the neck on that guitar is nearly the last thing on my mind. My STL's neck is not quite as fat, and feels a lot more like a traditional Fender neck, and there's a tiny "scallop" on the fretboard between the 8th and 9th frets. I'm still tinkering with the truss rod, (I tend to move it in small bits, usually less than a 16th turn and let everything settle: time consuming but rewarding.) but at this point I still have a small issue with fret buzz near the fifth fret area on the first string, although it is not audible through the pickups, and sort of appropriate for a tele style guitar. I stil love the way it feels and I imagine I'll be able to take care of the buzzing by adjustments, or work on two or three frets. (I do set the action kind of low, as my little fingers can easily bend strings on a guitar with low action.) The headstock seems to have a join between two pieces of wood near the 6th string tuner, which I thought was kind of funny, but it doesn't seem to cause any problems.

It bothered me for about a week that the headstock shape was not more "traditional", (IE Fender shaped) and then I realized I was just being a guitar snob. In fact, now I'm thinking that other guitarists (who don't know about SX guitars) will think I'm better than I really am if I can make a "cheap Chinese guitar"sound that good.

I'm curious if I'm just really lucky with my two guitars, or if necks this nice are what I can expect from SX guitars. I can see why some of you seem to have entire collections of SX guitars: this could get addictive.

This is downright weird! I now havetwo great guitars for a total investment of $350: much less than I would have expected to pay for a "utility" instrument. I now have no need for my Squire '51: anyone interested in a trade?

2. snarph

snarph Well-Known Member

What you need for your 51 , and what color is it

3. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

I'm not seeing anything unusual in your post as regards SX necks. Look at my sig and you can see that my opinion is "Why pay more?"

SX taught me to love fat necks. I never sought thin necks, but I had never owned any as thick as SXes until I got my SEG1 STD. Now I know, I like 'em chunky! ;)

4. fauxsuper

fauxsuper New Member

I think I'd want $80 plus shipping from SoCal for it, and it's sunburst. If you're interested, I'll shoot a couple of photos of it tomorrow, (it's at work).

5. xkxlxkx

xkxlxkx New Member

I agree...Fat is King....To me, it only makes a difference at the first few frets...Fat necks make my fingers less crowded, thin necks makes my fingers feel crowded on those first few frets. Anywhere else, I don't feel much of a difference. Hold your hand out, palm up...the further you spread your fingers out, the more your thumb moves back. not to mention the extra mass. I just got my SX and my first thought was " is this why people are trading the SX necks??? I LOVE it.

6. Minitruth

Minitruth New Member

I've got three SX guits;

SJM-62 hardtail
    STL-62
    GG1 std

And a Vwh SST-57 on the way.

All of them have very good necks. The only one I didn't
    like was the GG2 explorer-type. Horribly uneven frets,
    neck just felt bad. Was also VERY neck-heavy. Got rid
    of that one. Overall, I've been very happy with the SX
    necks.

7. uglyvw

uglyvw Well-Known Member

My gg1 is as close to a 70's LP neck that i have found, and the jumbo frets truly are jumbo, unlike most manufacturers who say they are jumbo, but really they are just a little wider, not any taller. W/ some heavy strings and relatively low action, it plays like butter.

8. zigg

zigg Active Member

of the many sx's that i've had pass through my hands, just a few to be honest were terrible (you can say the same of any brand but the difference is that when ordering on line you can't play it first and put the dogs back on the rack ) ... these had really rough frets that had a serious grind when stretching a note, one had a broken truss rod, a few that had to be leveled (that's pretty common of most necks if yur into real low action) ... sharp fret ends are not unusual but again this is common on most guitars these days .. i don't care for the sx necks myself but not because they are inferior , i just don't like jumbo frets at all and not much a fan of fat either .. still, i think the odds are in yur favor that more often than not yur gonna get just as good as what ya got on yur first 2 on yur future sx's ... :x:;)

[Edited on 10-10-2007 by zigg]

9. ramseybella

ramseybella New Member

Now if Kurt would get them Jumbo Wires on the Agiles It would be my day!!