SX Callisto Gold Top Review

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by pigwing76, Jan 27, 2010.

1. pigwing76

pigwing76 New Member

[​IMG]

So I gave the Callisto a good work out tonight at my rehearsal space. I loved the way this guitar played and sounded for the most part. The neck is nice and fat and felt great in my hand. The fretwork is very nice with no sharp edges anywhere. It stayed in tune surprisingly well. The nut probably could use replacing and the tuners are not very good. Don't get me wrong, they work for the time being but I know I'll be replacing them in the near future. I didn't have any issues with the bridge at all. Seemed very stable. The three way switch worked great with no noise. All knobs worked as they should.
    The bridge pickup on this baby ROCKS! It has that classic Les Paul sound. I was having so much fun playing with it. The neck pickup is a different story. It's pretty dull and muddy, only somewhat usable. It sounded okay when in the middle position but not great on its own. I know I will replace the neck p.u. sometime in the future. I can't imagine what a beast this guitar will be like then.
    The gold top finish on this guitar is amazing. A super clean, classic look. There's a nice "binding" around the edge of the body. The back of the body and neck also look great. Some very cool wood grain showing through the stain. The pickguard and pickup rings are that ugly peach color and need to be replaced badly. They throw off the look of the whole guitar in my opinion. That's an easy $20 fix, though. The rosewood neck is nice but could use some fingerboard oil to smooth it up a bit. The neck inlays are much nicer than I thought they would be. They are a cool looking "mother-of-pearl" trapezoidal inlay. From the website pics I was expecting just a plain white inlay so it was a nice surprise. Headstock is nice and as much as I don't like the functionality of the tuners I do love the shape of the tuners themselves.
    In conclusion, this guitar is amazing for the money I paid for it. I would never have guessed it to be a sub-hundred dollar guitar had I not known it was. It's easily in the same class as a much more expensive Epiphone and with some minor upgrades it could be in the Gibson class. If you're contemplating getting one of these I wouldn't wait any longer. I'm so glad I bought mine, especially at $99 for the gold top model. I'm not sure why this one is $50 cheaper than the others but I would still choose the same color if I had it to do over again. I think it's the nicest color option they have available for the Callisto. If there is anything I missed or other questions don't hesistate to ask. I can probably get up some sound clips if anyone is interested.

Jeremy

I'll get up full reviews of the SX SST SE and STL50 soon.

2. bob_amos

bob_amos Well-Known Member

Congrats... So glad you like it. And it's NOT backwards!!! I have a lefty Douglas Shadow Gold. Looks almost a twin to yours. I love mine too. Gold tops are just beautiful... Enjoy yours.

3. nrussell23

nrussell23 Well-Known Member Staff Member

thanks for the review jeremy. you just made my mind up for me. i hope mine ends up being as nice as the one you got!

:bigthumb:

4. Geoffrey Charles

Geoffrey Charles New Member

Congrats and nice review.

5. EvilTB

EvilTB New Member

Pretty sweet, the Callistos and Shadows seem to fall under the shadow of the AL 2000 and don't get the respect they deserve. I think the Epi LP 100 my friend had back in the day had similar specs, so I might get one. I had a "better" Epiphone, I remember enjoying my friend's guitar more for some reason. (The Epiphone I had was probably inferior to an AL 2000 yet it cost $800 Canadian with plastic tuners and "OBL"pickups.)

6. davjaxn

davjaxn New Member

Thanks for the review and your thoughts. It looks beautiful.

I am kicking myself for not grabbing one of these. I no longer see them on the Rondo site. At $99 I am not surprised though! Maybe they will come back... I hope!:uh:

7. slagg

slagg New Member

I just got one of those,lefty also.Great guitar for$99.00.good setup and a new bridge will make it great.

8. bassbubble

bassbubble Well-Known Member

Goldtop fever just keeps on spreading like wild fire 'round here.

Sweet guitar.

9. bob_amos

bob_amos Well-Known Member

I certainly can undershand why. They are absolutely beautiful. I loved mine and will defenately be replacing it with another gold top.

10. Dennis

Dennis Well-Known Member

Th GT is a classic and I don't blame anyone for wanting to own and play a piece of guitar history.
    Congrats :dance:

11. SkaJon

SkaJon New Member

Dude that guitar looks awesome! I don't know about everyone else but I do enjoy bolt on necks

12. bassbubble

bassbubble Well-Known Member

I remember seeing one when I was a kid. My Father used to rent out our barn to
    his friends kids band. One of the guitarist had one. I knew then I must have one. LOL.
    My first and only Agile is a goldtop. They are by far my favorite finish. It seems like a lot
    folks are falling in love with them too. Like you said, "They are absolutely beautiful".

13. Blooz1

Blooz1 New Member

One of my best friends had one, and used to lend it to me when my LP was in the shop. People always thought it was hot, more so than when I used my LP Custom! (Which kinda t'd me off..)

14. jcwillow777

jcwillow777 New Member

Nice GT - congrats!

15. davjaxn

davjaxn New Member

Too bad I missed this one! A $99 Gold Top is amazing. I emailed Kurt and these look to be gone for good.:(

16. uglyvw

uglyvw Well-Known Member

I have guitars with some amazing finishes, vintage burst, flamed cherry burst, fendery vintage green, but I always get more comments on my goldie for some reason. Congrats, it sure is a looker.

17. nrussell23

nrussell23 Well-Known Member Staff Member

you must have emailed a different Kurt. there is currently 9 of them in stock as of 11:42am

Product: SX Callisto Gold Left Handed
    In stock: 9

18. CaTiRo

CaTiRo New Member

they are out of the right handed ones

19. diffra

diffra New Member

Dude, I'm sorry to hear that they made your guitar backwards. I hate it when that happens. I fixed it for you though, to see what it might look like:

[​IMG]

[Edited on 2010-3-2 by diffra]

20. CaTiRo

CaTiRo New Member

i'm kicking myself for not getting a right handed one.