Septor Elite 727 EMG, fixed bridge...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jm1681, Jun 13, 2010.

1. jm1681

jm1681 New Member

So I've been dancing around buying an Agile for months now and then I wake up one morning and see this...

[​IMG][​IMG]

I really want to get a 7-string, and while I've been thinking about getting an RG7321, I think the 727 may be the better bet (It has more of what I want right out of the box). It's more expensive, but it appears as though I'm getting much more for my money.

I suppose my question(s) are as follows...

How are these guitars in terms of setup/fit/finish when they are received?
    How is the feel (thin like an Ibanez, thick like a Schecter)?
    I've played a 26.5" scale Schecter and not really minded the extra length, is that extra half inch going to kill me?

I'm just afraid. Scratch that, I'm terrified.

It's a bigger initial investment than the RG and I'm a very picky guitar player. I rarely hang onto instruments for a substantial amount of time, and I NEVER buy guitars without playing them first.

By purchasing the 727, am I making a huge mistake, or is this the deal of a lifetime?

2. jm1681

jm1681 New Member

Anyone?

3. Blackened

Blackened Well-Known Member

Hey jm1681 welcome to the forum. I don't have any answers to your questions, but there are several people here that I am sure could help you out. Maybe Rick in PA, Mark Morton, nrussel or someone else that has owned one would be able to tell you. I just recently took the 7-string plunge myself (Bought a used BCR Virgin 7) and really dig it.

Oh and from the things I have heard here on AGF in the past, the Septor's neck is a bit chunkier than the Ibanez. Not sure if that helps any... :dunno:

4. GibsonWho?

GibsonWho? New Member

I played one of these, and the neck is def. closer to Schecter than Ibanez, it's not super thin but it's comfy. As far as fit and finish, my buddies 727 looked great. I doubt that the extra half inch will make much of a difference, considering the jump from 6 string to 7 string that you seem to have done with no problems is much greater than that. To be honest, I'm pretty sure you'd be better off with this than the ibanez. With the ibanez, you're paying $400 and getting a more or less entry level instrument (pickup, tuners, and bridge-wise). The decision that you're kinda looking at here really depends on how serious you are about 7-string. I wouldn't spend $700 on a 7-string unless I was sure that I actually like 7-string guitars. But if you've played 7s before and are sure that you'd be fine with it, then it of course makes sense to invest in a higher quality instrument.

5. Rick In Pa.

Rick In Pa. Well-Known Member PREMIUM Supporter

Hey James,

I hope you don't mind, but I decided to answer your questions here in your thread. I will start by saying by no means am I an expert in this field. I've only been playing guitar for about a year, so i
    m still definitely a beginner. But, that said, I will do my best to answer your questions about this guitar.

I've never owned an Ibanez, but I have played a few in guitar stores. I did own a Schecter Damien 7 that I just sold about a week ago. In my experience, as far as the neck is concerned, the Septor kind of falls smack in the middle of the two. It is not nearly as thin as the Ibanez necks, but also not as chunky as the Schecter necks. For me personally, this is the perfect neck. Very comfortable and playable. The uniform profile is very nice too.

Like you, I had never owned/played and extended scale guitar before, but I will say that I have had no problem adapting to the extra length. On the contrary, I've found it a bit more comfortable because I have kinda fat fingers.

As for the quality and setup of these guitars, all I can say is do some poking around on this forum and you'll find that the Agile guitars are excellent. Kurt offers possibly the best customer service in the business to back this up. The finishes on these guitars are excellent. Very high quality. The 5 guitars I've ordered from Rondo have come in various states of setup. But, I will say that the 3 Agiles I've purchased new were close to perfectly setup, only requiring minor adjustments.

My advice to you would be, if you like the specs of this guitar and you have the cash, order it. I honestly don't think you will be disappointed in any way. But, that's the best part. If you are, return it for a refund or exchange.

6. Blackened

This was my EXACT reason for buying the Virgin. I snagged it for I think $175 shipped. I had never played a 7 and was a little concerned that i wasn't going to take to it very well. The BCR came up and it was cheap. With any luck I will score a used agile 7 in the next year or so.

7. jm1681

jm1681 New Member

Thanks so much guys :)

I've owned a few 7-strings over the past few years, but I've never really felt like I was ready to commit to it.

I think I'm there finally.

I find myself pining for an extra low string, and being in a band with 3 guitar players, it seems like a great idea to fill out the mix.

I just really wish I could get my hands on one before taking the plunge... I don't really have the cash (Credit cards FTW), but the price is great and as seems to be the unanimous decision, it's more bang for the buck.

I suppose worse comes to worse, I have to pay to the round trip shipping to give it a whirl, but I'm hoping I'll have my socks knocked off.

8. Rick In Pa.

I have no doubt this will be the case.

Oh, and sorry it took me so long to respond. I was kind of off the grid last night spending time with the family :bigthumb:

9. Blackened

Avoid credit cards (Believe me, this comes from experience) at all costs if you can. Take some extra time and save some cash. These guitars tend to come around a few times a year and stick around on a fairly consistent basis so I wouldn't be in such a hurry. If you get it in a week or a month you will be no more or less satisfied with the guitar and if you use cash you dont have to pay "the man" a bunch of interest.

Besides... Why pay $5 for something today when you can pay $2 for it if you just wait until tomorrow.? :dunno:

10. GibsonWho?

GibsonWho? New Member

Yeah, if i ever bought a 7 string to try it out I'd probably try to find a steal on a used Carvin, but I def. wouldn't spend over $500 because idk if I'd stick to it. I'm not a 7-string guy though.

11. jm1681

jm1681 New Member

Oh believe you me, I am fully aware of the evils of CCs.

These days, I only charge instruments as it would simply take far too long for me to save for them. I know I pay a bit more in the end, but these are the bricks I suppose :(

12. tkozuch

tkozuch Well-Known Member

Playing devil's advocate here, but don't count out used instruments. I have said this on another thread, but I got my LTD SC607b for less than an elite costs new, and I have seen carvin 7 strings go for under $500. Just saying.

I did like my old septor a lot, but I liked my LTD better. The only reason I ever got rid of that is because I traded it for my Explorer. Other than that, I regret losing that one.

13. Blackened

Yeah, I wanted to spend as little as possible being there was a good chance I wouldn't like it (Curse my short fingers) and I figured under $200 shipped to my door was going to be hard to beat.

I dig it enough. It is nothing earth shattering for me, but it definitely opened up a few new ideas, so I would say it is money well spent. :bigthumb:

14. jm1681

jm1681 New Member

So I was actually all ready to order a minute ago, and now I'm second guessing myself.

I hate this. I don't know WTF to do :(

15. jm1681

jm1681 New Member

Now I'm thinking about possibly going for this...

[​IMG][​IMG]

I was skeptical at first because the 727 version seemed to have the same pup spacing as the 725, when in fact, the 727 page, has 725 pics on it :(

It has a lower cost of entry which works for me, but I'll still need to put pickups in it which brings me right back to square one, but at least I don't need to route the body to do so.

Anyone know how the stock passives are?

Gah...I don't know what to do :(

[Edited on 14-6-2010 by jm1681]

16. jm1681

jm1681 New Member

Thing is, it's going to end up with EMGs eventually, which will bring costs even in the long run, and the result won't be neck-thru :(

It really pays for me to just dive into the Elite version, I just don't know if I'm ready to spend that much money. That's worded bad; I'm totally ready, I just know I shouldn't do it...

[Edited on 14-6-2010 by jm1681]

17. Overt1

Overt1 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

in front of my still shiny new iMac. Problem?
    for some reason, i have a feeling you're gonna end up getting the elite, then you're going to make a NGD thread saying how you were fortunate to have made teh right choice and started to thank everybody. and then there will be tons of pics. that seems to happen a lot around here.

18. jm1681

jm1681 New Member

It certainly does.

I just wish I had a second job to better accomodate my gear acquiring needs :(

19. jm1681

jm1681 New Member

I think....ahh...I don't know what I think.

I'm never going to know if I don't just do it. I just so hate spending money, even for something I'm pretty confident I'm going to love :(

20. Rick In Pa.

Just a thought James, have you considered Blackouts instead of emg's? They are very highly rated and most people who have experience with both prefer the Blackouts as they tend to have more range tonally. While the emg's are sometimes thought of as one trick ponies, the Blackouts are maybe a little bit more versatile.

Anyway, my point is that I sent my maple board version with blackouts back and exchanged it for the ebony version. That one may just be popping up as a b-stock in the next day or two. It just got back to Kurt today. So, if you are interested in the Blackouts, you may be able to save some bucks by jumping on that one if you can catch it when he throws it up. You'll probably have to keep a real close eye on Rondo and have a quick trigger finger.