Rondo Teles, have questions.

Discussion in 'Gear Chat' started by Benny, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Benny

Benny New Member

I've been gassing for a tele pretty hard. I'm wanting an HH, I am not a single coil guy.

I just browsed rondo and only found one HH tele, the weed one. Well... I don't really care for the gold hardware, nor the weed inlays, even less the giant weed leaf on the body.

All you SXers with a tele, have you checked under the guard if there is space for a humbucker? I am sure I would have to do routing at the bridge though. :( No good for me.

Are there any reasonably (low) priced HH teles on the market?

:x:

2. Grizlybayr

Grizlybayr New Member

I've had both the STL-50 and the Nashville (3 p/u) version of same. If my fuzzy memory serves me right, neither were routed for a humbucker. :dunno:

3. Benny

Benny New Member

:( Aw. Thats what I was thinking, but one can dream.

4. ziggle

ziggle New Member

Sorry, Man. All the SX are either S/P90, SSS, or SS.

However, this is a decent little git similar in many ways to a '72 Deluxe:

Squier Custom

I've been really seriously considering picking this up. Too many good reviews, and while I WANT a HH Tele, preferably a '72 Deluxe, this just seems like too good of a deal...

???

5. keytarded007

keytarded007 Well-Known Member

those squire customs are pretty boss, ive been gassing for one for a long time lol

6. Benny

Benny New Member

Hm. Maybe I'll throw Kurt an e-mail regarding HH teles and see if he plans on any for the future

That '72 deluxe is interesting. It's got all that I want and has a maple neck/fretboard which is a huge plus. You should get one and let me know how it is. :naughty:

Only other HH teles I am looking at are the John 5 shown here, and the Fender Custom shown here and also the blacktop teles.

Thanks for a candidate!

7. erictheviking

erictheviking Well-Known Member

Cut for a bucker in the neck only, I have one on my vintage white one.

8. rrobbone

rrobbone Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

STL, pre sanding.

HTH.

BTW, there are bucker rout templates on TDPRI, should you want to get the STL (sorry, furrian).

9. Benny

Benny New Member

I would love to mod an STL, or furrian, into some awesome hell-spawn telecaster. I'll have to go for a treasure hunt into my dad's basement looking for a router before committing to that though.

What is TDPRI by the way? Is that a forum?

Thanks guys! :bigthumb:

10. rrobbone

rrobbone Well-Known Member

TDPRI.com is a giant Tele forum. I usually am lurking in the DIY forums soaking up as much knowledge as I can. If you have any interest in modding, they'll have you ready and wanting to scratch build your own guitar before long.

The sister Strat forum is pretty good too.

I'm wanting to mod the crap out of my P90 Furrian and turn it into a monster, but I'm gonna refinish it first.

11. Geoffrey Charles

Geoffrey Charles New Member

So you do not want to use single coil size buckers? That's always an option.

12. Tritone

Tritone New Member

The Jay Turser JT-LT Custom Deluxe has a humbucker route in the neck. Plus it's sexiful and not too expensive (<$200).

[​IMG]

13. Mr. Chow

Mr. Chow New Member

I'll give a huge +1 on the Squier tele custom. I have the p-90 version and it's my #1. Or, you could wait til Kurt pulls out the Furrian HH that was up for like a week, again. They were very popular but he only had 10. I'm pretty sure those will be back.

14. strumbum

strumbum Well-Known Member

Turning a standard SX tele into a 2-humbucker guitar is NOT that big of a deal, IF you have a Dremel tool or something similar, and are into spending the extra money for parts.

LOTS of sites sells aftermarket humbucker bridges at fairly cheap prices, and humbucker "neck" pickguards are available as well.

Believe me when I tell ya that removing wood from the pup cavity is NOT a problem with a Dremel tool and a sanding drum. Alder wood melts away like butter.

One of the main things to consider is, that (will) the aftermarket bridge mounting holes line up with the existing SX bridge holes. That's one thing I'm not sure about, however, if the new bridge covers the existing holes, redrilling for new holes shouldn't be an issue. Another thing to consider is after you've put on the new bridge, how/if it changes the intonation....

15. bassbubble

bassbubble Well-Known Member

What about a Blacktop Telecaster?

Attached Files:

16. DerDrache

DerDrache New Member

Dude, these are awesome guitars. I had one. I'd still have it but I had to sell it to get the scratch to buy my MIM Tele. It's the one that started my love affair with Teles. If I saw a good deal on one around, I'd probably snag it up again.

The Blacktop Tele may be worth looking into too if you don't mind spending the extra dough.

17. erictheviking

erictheviking Well-Known Member

I did that with my other STL, it works fine but I always wonder how different it would sound with a full size bucker in the bridge.

18. thetrend77

thetrend77 New Member

+1 on the Squier Custom. I have one and I love it! It weighs a TON though lol

19. Poodlesrule

Poodlesrule Well-Known Member

Just curious, is it just:
    Custom = HBs
    Custom II = P90s

..or are there other difference beyond PUs?

20. Benny

Benny New Member

rrobbone- Will check that out!

Geoffrey- I've never played a single sized humbucker. I guess they are an option, but I would prefer humbucker size for ease of using a pickup I like if the stock ones blow.

Tritone- I can not do gold hardware, so I would actually need to change it all.

Mr.Chow- Was there a non trem model of that? Looks similar to the '72 deluxe.

Strumbum- I would actually prefer to go that route with a tele for the experience, I wouldn't have a problem with parts prices. My only problem would be getting/finding a router. So far this seems like what I am going to do!

bassbubble- I saw them, and they seem nice. I need to play some guitars I guess. Everything I have now has a 12" radius, is there a noticeable difference? :dunno:

erictheviking- How do single sized humbuckers compare to a full sized bucker? Anyone else can voice their opinion as well, the more the merrier.

Thanks guys! Off I go for some research!