replacement nut and tuners for a SX Callisto Jr

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by smodown, May 4, 2010.

1. smodown

smodown New Member

Can anyone recommend parts for modding my Callisto? I have not received it yet but it's on the way and can't wait.

2. uglyvw

uglyvw Well-Known Member

I've used the wilkenson ez-locks on several including my gg1 and love them, direct drop in. I may just be a little old school, but I still prefer a good ol bone nut. blanks can be gotten from any number of sources. The LP size will work fine, but needs to be fitted and slotted. I never get a pre-slotted nut, always do my own.

3. smodown

smodown New Member

I definately like the idea of locking tuners. Wilkenson it is. I was thinking bone for the nut as I am a bit old school as well (first guitar, Silvertone Dan Electro with amp in case, yeah I go back a ways) but wonder about the sustain factor. Probably not really an issue but I have never used a bone nut before. Thanks for the advice.

4. jhdvorsky

jhdvorsky New Member

I got some Locking tuners on the way for my GG1 jr. Hopefully they'll be here this week. :bigthumb:

5. SkaJon

SkaJon New Member

I personally used Grovers on my GG1 Jr and honestly I think they are great, I only had to drill one hole each for the set screw. As for the replacement nut, I personally used a TUSQ preslotted Epiphone nut and it fit just fine, made a big difference in sustain.

6. smodown

smodown New Member

I really want this guitar to sustain like a Panimanian boxer and wonder if Tusq would sweeten up the SX P90s while giveing me the sustain I hope for. I have an Agile AD 201 and like the tone alot. I understand they are not the same P90s as in the SX.

7. SkaJon

SkaJon New Member

Well I would recommend getting either a TUSQ or a real bone nut, a better bridge and possibly a new talipiece. The P90s in the SX are hot so they sound pretty darn good.

8. jhdvorsky

jhdvorsky New Member

Raise the pickups, too.... Mine wouldn't raise high enough and I had to add a little more foam underneath the bridge pu to get it high enough.

9. smodown

smodown New Member

I think I'll go with the Wilkenson ez locks and the preslotted epi Tusq. Since I do lousy mod work the direct drop ins and presloted nut are right up my alley. Thanks all for the tips. I really appreciate this board with all its experience with Rondo guitars. I never buy until I check this board and I've had a blast with Rondo's bang-for-the-buck guitars.