Is this wiring Possible. HH 1V - 1T 5Way

Discussion in 'Tech Tips' started by GuitarKidd, Feb 11, 2009.

1. GuitarKidd

GuitarKidd New Member

Ok. Going to wire up a Dual Humbucker pickguard. I have two pickups. All they have are the ground and the hot cable for both. No Coil tapping. Basically these are out of a Al2000.

The tricky part is I have a 5 way standard strat switch, 1 vol and 1 Tone.

I can't find a wiring diagram to save my life.

Not even sure if it can or should be done with a 5 way. If not I will order a 3 way switch. Anyways, can anyone point me in the right direction.

2. tattooedindian

tattooedindian New Member

Go to Seymour Duncan website http://www.seymourduncan.com/images/support/schematics/2hum_1vol_1tone_super5way.jpg

3. GuitarKidd

GuitarKidd New Member

Been there and looked at that... That doesn't make much sense with what I have.

2 humbuckers, with a hot and ground each. And a 5 way fender strat switch. That switch is nothing close to what I have. Plus each pickup has 5 cables coming out of it..

4. rbwalter

rbwalter New Member

If each pickup has 5 wires, then they have a coil tap. You can certainly use a standard 5 way switch, but you may have to come up with your diagram.

5. strumbum

strumbum Well-Known Member

You should be able to bypass positions 2 & 4 on the 5-way switch, which would give you the same effect as a 3-way switch. SD's site should have a diagram for 2-hums, 1-vol & 1-tone (without the 5-way switch)...

6. snarph

snarph Well-Known Member

If your not doing any splitting or taping why not just use a 3way

7. GuitarKidd

GuitarKidd New Member

I don't have a 3 way. So I thought maybe a 5 way could work.

THe pickups are out of a Al2000. They have 2 wires. The hot wire and the ground wire (already stated), they are not capable of being coil tapped.

Nothing that seymour duncan has on their website shows what I am looking for. There should be a way to do it.

If there isn't then I will just order a 3 way, but even on semours site doesn't show a wiring diagram for the same type of 3 way switch that I would need.

Here is the closest thing I can find, but it is for 2 single coils, which probably wiring aren't any different.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=2singlecoils1vol1tone1switc

8. damian

damian New Member

I can't stand this any longer. Why do you have to make it so hard ?

You have 3 options.

First option, buy a fender 3 way slide switch and substitute it.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=3s_1v_1t_5w

If you pretend your humbuckers are single coils you can wire them like this leaving out the bridge pickup, either neck or bridge. If you leave out the middle pickup you won't get a neck and bridge position.

You also need to consider if you want your middle position to be series like a les paul or parrallel like gretch (?). Anyway that should get you started. This scheme will give you a dead position by the way, all pickups off... If you play with the options you might get another interesting combo in there but you'll have to map the switch and think about the possibilities. I can't remember exactly how a fender 5 way makes contact.

Edit: the diagram you just posted will work fine with a 3 way. Not sure about a 5 way, but the 2 wire humbuckers are functionally equivalent to single coils as far as wiring goes, so anything you find for single coils will work. You can also swap hot and earth provided earth is floating, ie not touching any other conductors in the circuit.

[Edited on 12-2-2009 by damian]

9. drawbars

drawbars Well-Known Member

Another possibility is a Fender Super Switch. This 5-way can do just about anything you like, as it has four separate switches in a SP5T setup.

On my Tele, it looks like this:

Bridge = Tele bridge
    Mid = Tele neck, moved back a bit
    Neck = P-90

1 - Bridge pup
    2 - Bridge + Mid in series (faux HB)
    3 - Bridge + Mid in parallel
    4 - Bridge + Neck in parallel
    5 - Neck pup

10. GuitarKidd

GuitarKidd New Member

Don't mean to make anything difficult. In the almost 6 years I have been playing I haven't needed to wire or really fix anything when it comes to wiring.

Also, the switch diagram doesn't match up. The connectors on a 3 way or 5 way are in a row, however the diagram has them offset. I am assuming that even though they are offeset, they should still be technically "in a row". I'm asking these questions, because I honestly don't know.

11. Memphs202

Memphs202 New Member

im lost when it comes to wiring too man.. then to put a 5 way switch in the middle?? lol sorry bud im with you on this one it all sounds soo easy but when it comes to reading a diagram shit i might as well be in 1st grade NO CLUE!!!!!!!!! ohno:

12. damian

damian New Member

I wasn't referring to you, I was referring to the people who didn't read your origional post properly, and those who didn't answer your question.

It is never a crime not to know, or I'd be put away for life. :)

13. ultralight23k

ultralight23k New Member

Go to this link, half way down you'll see the conversion between a 5 way side by side post, as typical on a fender 5 way, and a import style inline post 5 way. Also just below that is the position slections for the 5 way. i would save the 2 pictures (onlyt the pics, not the page) to your for futrue reference. Go to this page for 5 way conversion schem.

14. GuitarKidd

GuitarKidd New Member

I talk to dealers all day long. And I can tell them one thing, for some reason, I think my phone translates what I say into pig latin or something completely different because they will respond to me as if they have no clue as to what I just said.

Thanks for the help everyone, and the conversion chart is a big help as well.. Didn't know there was a difference between import switches and what fender uses. I was looking through all these diagrams going... What the heck, no one has the type of switch I have..
    Geez..

15. GuitarKidd

GuitarKidd New Member

I also meant to ask, what is the difference with Series and Parallel sound wise? And how is that wired differently...
    Thanks

16. drawbars

The sound is a lot different. Series HB coils sound thicker and stronger. That's the classic Gibson sound that 95% of all HB guitars provide. The coils in parallel sound more open and single-coil like, at least to me. There are very few stock guitars with parallel coils, mostly Gretsch and some rockabilly models from a few others.

Wiring for a series HB --

Coil 1+ --> Volume pot
    Coil 1- --> Coil 2+
    Coil 2- --> Ground

Single-coil operation involves shorting one of the coils, usually Coil 2+ to ground. This can be done with a switch, or using the tone control, if wired properly.

Wiring for a parallel HB --

Coil 1+ --> Coil 2+ --> Volume pot
    Coil 1- --> Coil 2- --> Ground

It's basically like a pair of single-coil pups, electrically. To change to single-coil operation, one of the coils' (+) side needs to be disconnected with a switch.

17. TheJerk

TheJerk New Member

Yeah, but he can't do series/parallel for each bucker with only 2 leads on the pups...

[Edited on 13-2-2009 by TheJerk]

18. drawbars

Oops, my bad ... came into this thing about halfway, and missed that in my earlier read. :uh:

If you only have two HBs with 2 wires each, a 5-way switch is going to be WAY more hassle than it's worth, IMHO. I'd go with a standard 3-way switch and be done with it.