agile harm 1 toaster/bigsby

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by chrisdb, Oct 2, 2010.

1. chrisdb

chrisdb New Member

very pleased with this guitar.
    I've been blues/folk/rock playing over 40 years and have had a lot of guitars in my hands over the years . I currrently own about a dozen, mostly vintage American made, guitars... not counting the 000-18 redwood top acoustic I'm building in my workshop.
    this obviously Rickenbacker inspired guitar... not a direct copy but similar in form playability and tone... is exceptional. I may have to touch up the fret ends ... well rounded but a little proud of the fretboard... but other than that the setup out of the box was spot on... low action and doesn't fret out eve to the top of the neck . Hardware and construction all seem to be good quality and stays in tune nicely even with liberal use of the bigsby tremelo.
    It has a great vintage tone and is easy to play. I would have not problem recommending this guitar to someone looking for a Rickenbacker style guitar but without thousands in the budget to purchase the real thing.

2. Fogboundturtle

Fogboundturtle New Member

Welcome to AGF. You review is what all of us discover a few years ago. Why pay more for a name on the headstock..

3. jumboshrimp

jumboshrimp New Member

PICS PLEASE
    CONGRATZ AND PICS!!!!

4. Geoffrey Charles

Geoffrey Charles New Member

Welcome to AGF

5. Seaf

Seaf New Member

Milky Way Galaxy, Orion Spur, Sol System, Earth, U
    Welcome aboard, I also have a harm and love it. :)

6. Ope

Ope New Member

Although, when it comes to Rickenbackers, aren't they all still made in the US and none overseas? That makes them more appealing to me than other big name guitars, though certainly still well out of my budget range.

7. jcwillow777

jcwillow777 New Member

Congrats, BUT, pics or it didn't happen. :naughty:

8. Overt1

Overt1 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

in front of my still shiny new iMac. Problem?
    Wow nice pics!

9. Mr. Chow

Mr. Chow New Member

Thanks, man. Nice review. I'm GASsing bad for one of those. Need to sell/ save up.

10. Mr. Chow

Mr. Chow New Member

Did you get a case with it? If so, how was the fit?

11. synthaxe

synthaxe New Member

got any pix dude

12. tonebender

tonebender Well-Known Member PREMIUM Supporter

Welcome to the AGF! Congrats on the Harm with tosters. I have one with Toasters as well. I have a Ric 330 and a 660, the Harm does have that vibe. I love mine and it gets a lot of gig play. Oh yeah, it's just a theory until we see pics.:bigthumb:

13. chrisdb

chrisdb New Member

i'll get pix up tomorrow.. promise

14. chrisdb

chrisdb New Member

I must say I've never played a Ric, but the Ric tone is unmistakeable in recordings and this guitar gets pretty close by virtue of it's construction/ scale length and pickup design.
    I put a set of GFS Filtertrons (claiming to have the Ric 'jangle') into one of my Peavey t-60's and it is a nice pickup in a great guitar but does not quite get the Ric 'jangle' that i was hoping to find. The harm with toasters has the tone.
    the other thing I would add is the quality of the construction is not only looks good but works well.
    I bought another Asian les paul style guitar with p90's from a well known company. It was actually "the" guitar pictured on their website... a 'cover girl' so to speak. It's very pretty but won't stay in tune stay . I replaced the bridge, tail piece and tuners did a full setup ( and of course restrung it twice). .. still won't stay in tune. Now I am invested for a few hundred bucks and can't even sell it on ebay because I don't want to deal with the negative Karma from unloading a very pretty POS on an innocent bystander. I may just dig a hole in the backyard and bury it.
    there is a lot of hype in guitar world and I posted my little review to let others know that I am a person who knows guitars and the harm-1 i purchased for a very modest sum (imho) was an exceptionally good example of what I was looking for in a Rickenbacker style guitar. It isn't a rickenbacker, and unlike some other chinese guitar manufacturers who are sending guitars with Fender or Gibson headstocks , serial numbers and literature- they are not pretending to be authentic.
    if nothing else but a Ric will do for you I understand that.
    personally, I recently sold a '57 Les Paul jr to a collector because I play guitars and although it was a nice guitar it simply wasn't any better than any other well made guitar I own... it was just worth a lot more.

15. adad

adad Well-Known Member

The descriptions on the GFS website seem to be exaggerated. Though I don't mind some of there pickups. I believe original ricks are single coil toasters and agiles are humbucker toasters. Does anyone know if someone makes an aftermarket single coil toaster that can get close to an original Rick sound?

16. Ergolf

Ergolf New Member

I think the NY II pups do a really good job. Remember that Ricks are all maple (I have a 325) and your just are not going to get the pickups to sound the same on a mahogany guitsr. Just my opinion though.

17. adad

adad Well-Known Member

I would like to try a NY II. That's a good suggestion. I stuck a NY III in a pro jet and was happy with it. I had it on hand for some reason. I know the NYII is a common replacement for the new pro jets. I think though its a different size than the agile toaster since that is a p90 size. But I'm going by memory.

[Edited on 4-10-2010 by adad]

18. chrisdb

chrisdb New Member

haven't posted pix to a forum in ages... had to learn all over again- hope it works
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Stig

Stig Well-Known Member

The HARM is such a cool looking guitar. Companies like Agile so rarely hit one out of the park with an original design like this.

20. adad

adad Well-Known Member

Nice!:bigthumb: